Saturday, January 30, 2010
1/3 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
Dash each salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, or more to taste
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
3 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast
1 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise
1 small hamburger bun (light, if available)
2 slices tomato
2 hamburger dill pickle chips
1 leaf romaine lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Season the crumbs with as much salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder as you like, and mix well. Place crumbs in one small dish and egg substitute in another.
3. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with a dash each of salt and pepper. Then, coat chicken on both sides—first with egg substitute, and then with seasoned crumbs.
4. Place chicken on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Top chicken with a light mist of nonstick spray
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Flip the chicken over, and add another light mist of nonstick spray. Cook for an additional 10–12 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked and coating looks crispy.
7. Spread half of the mayo on each half of the bun. On the bun bottom, place chicken, tomato, pickles, and lettuce, and then top with the other half of the bun. Enjoy!
Monday, January 25, 2010
1 regular size Thomas' Light Multi Grain English Muffin (or Western Bagel Alternative English Muffin)
1 slice Kraft Free fat free American cheese
1 slice Healthy Choice Smoked Ham (or other lean, thin-sliced ham)
1 egg white (I use liquid egg whites)
Simply cook an egg white in a pan using non-stick cooking spray and toast your English muffin. Once toasted, place a slice of cheese on the bottom half of the bread, followed by the egg, a slice of ham, and the top of the muffin. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
*This sandwich was AMAZING. It tasted just like McDonald's Egg McMuffin. I highly recommend this. It was easy to make. Fred ate his on the way to work this morning and told me how much he loved it.
Friday, January 22, 2010
3 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
2 Large Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (21-25 per pound)
2 Tbsps. Canola oil (divided)
3/4 Cup Orange Juice
1/4 Cup dry sherry
2 Tbsps. Reduced sodium Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1. Whisk sesame seeds, egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add shrimp and coat.
2. Heat Tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add half the shrimp and cook until golden. (1-2 minutes per side). Transfer shrimp to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with other half of the shrimp and another tablespoon of oil.
3. Add orange juice, sherry, soy sauce, and sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thick.
4. Return the shrimp to the pan and stir to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.
2 teaspoons olive oil
Four 4 ounce pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
2 cups button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1/4 cup red wine
2 cups Muir Glen diced fire roasted tomatoes (sodium free)
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
5 kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
1 cup steamed brown rice to serve
Heat a large sauce pot over medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan.
Season the chicken with pepper and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Remove the chicken to a plate and add the remaining oil to the pan.
Saute the onions for 3 minutes stirring constantly, then add the garlic and bell peppers.
Cook the garlic and peppers for 2 minutes and add the mushrooms.Cook the mushrooms for 4 minutes stirring often.
Add the red wine and allow to reduce until almost dry. Add the tomatoes to the pot and stir well.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and oregano. Bring to the simmer and reduce heat to low.
Add the chicken back to the sauce and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
Stir in all but one pinch of the parsley.
To serve, spoon 1/4 cup of brown rice onto the center of a serving plate. Place one portion of chicken on top of the rice and spoon some of the sauce and vegetables over the chicken, repeat with remaining plates. Sprinkle a little of the chopped olives and remaining parsley over each plate of chicken and serve.
*To me, this recipe could have used a little more flavor. My husband loved it though.
Monday, January 18, 2010
4 chicken breasts - cooked and chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
2 cups cooked noodles
1 chopped onion
1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo)
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts
small package of stuffing mix
1 stick butter
1. Combine above ingredients and pour into 13x9x2 baking dish.
2. Take one small package of Pepperidge Farms Stuffing Mix and a stick of melted butter and mix together.
3. Place this on top of casserole and bake at 400 for 15 minutes - reduce heat to 325 and cook 15 minutes longer.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
1 Jello- O Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding Cup
1/3 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
2 tablespoons sugar-free strawberry preserves
4 Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers
1. In a small bowl, combine pudding, Cool Whip, and preserves. Mix well and set aside.
2. Place four baking cups on a plate or in four cups of a muffin pan. Put one wafer in each baking cup.
3. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture on top of each wafer.
4. Freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Store in freezer until ready to serve.
Per Serving (2 shortcake bites):
2 WW points!
*These had a great flavor, but I wasn't a huge fan.
Monday, January 11, 2010
PER SERVING (entire wrap): 168 calories, 5.5g fat, 694mg sodium, 24g carbs, 15g fiber, 2g sugars, 20g protein -- POINTS® value 3*
1 La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortilla, Large (sometimes labeled Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber)
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 tbsp. Athenos Reduced Fat Natural Feta Cheese, Crumbled with Basil & Tomato (or plain Reduced Fat Crumbled)
1 tbsp. Hunt’s Tomatoes, Fire Roasted Diced with Garlic
2 pieces sun-dried tomato in oil & spices, chopped
1. Spray a small pan with nonstick spray, and bring to medium heat. Add egg substitute, and cook to form an egg patty (flipping and folding until firm). Remove egg patty and set aside.
2. Remove the pan from heat, re-spray, and then return to medium heat. Add chopped spinach and both types of tomatoes. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 1 minute (until spinach has wilted). Add the cheese to the pan and cook for an additional 30 seconds (cheese should be melt-y). Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, heat tortilla in the microwave until slightly warm.
3. Place veggie/cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla. Place egg patty on top, and wrap the tortilla up envelope style (folding the sides in first, and then rolling it up from the bottom). Place wrap in the toaster oven (with the seam-side down) and bake for 1 - 2 minutes (until thoroughly heated). Enjoy!
MAKES 1 SERVING
*If you've had one of these from Starbucks, then you know how good this is! I love it! Delicious! I even think this version is better than Starbucks!
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Since we're all trying to eat better this new year, how about trying this? They are only 25 calories. You can also try it with 2-3 tablespoons of Fat Free Reddi-Whip making it 30-35 calories.
That calorie intake sounds way better than 230 calories from a Non-Fat Starbuck's Hot Chocolate. Try it today!
Thank you to Hungry Girl and Kassey at Not Your Typical, Average, Ordinary College Girl for these tips and information.
Monday, January 4, 2010
- 6 cups milk
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (use any flavor creamed soup you like chicken, mushroom, celery, etc I use 2 chicken and 1 celery)
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, adjust to your taste
1. Stove Top: Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook on stove until hot and flavors have blended. Stir often to dissolve everything and to keep from scorching on the bottom. At least 30 minutes.
2. Crock Pot: Follow same directions above using crock pot. Just put everything in, stir well to combine everything and then cook on low for 4 hours.
3. Adjust hot sauce to your liking and/or serve additional sauce on the side to allow each person to adjust their own bowl.
4. Garnish with an additional dollop of sour cream, ranch or blue cheese dressing/dip and a celery stick. Would also be good with some shredded cheese on top. If you want to stretch it to feed more try serving it over a scoop of white rice.