1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon boiling water
1 cup plus
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces semisweet chocolate candy bars, chopped
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until softened. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in egg, vanilla and salt.
3. Dissolve espresso powder in the boiling water, add to butter mixture and beat well.
4. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and beat combined. Stir in chopped chocolate and nuts.
5. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on wire racks.
Makes about 36.